Sims originated in 1880 at a Northern Pacific Railroad siding, was used for water and coal and called Bly's Mine. The town was surveyed in 1883 by the NPRR and renamed Sims.
The only buildings that remain standing are the Sims Scandinavian Lutheran Church and the parsonage. The Sims congregation has been active since it was organized in 1882. The parsonage was restored by the membership in the 1990's with with a grant from Preservation America.
Almont was founded on July 4th 1906 by Mr. E. W. Hyde. That day he got tired of trying to buy a lot on the railroad for a Lumber Yard in Sims and he moved the railroad cars loaded with lumber down the Northern Pacific Railroad track to the next siding and started a new town. On that day all that there was at the Almont siding was a phone booth.
The two towns became so closely intertwined in their educational and social fabric they truly became one community and remain so today.
This web site is established primarily for educational use of the people of North Dakota, especially those in the local area and those who have moved away and wish to make information available to their descendents regarding their heritage. It is expected that it may also be used by local schools for advancing knowledge of the history of the local community and for use by bona fide reseachers studying North Dakota and the Sims-Almont area in particular. This is a non-profit web site.
This web site is currently undergoing multple additions. Changes will continue indefinitely into the future. Please check the 'What's New' section above to find the most recent additions and visit this site often. Please send any comments and suggestions to 'email@example.com'.
Web Masters: Roger W. Becklund: firstname.lastname@example.org 'Class of '52' Kevin Pitmam: email@example.com
Copyright 2009 2012